Knocked flat for Thanksgiving

Knocked flat for Thanksgiving

My nonexistent posting hasn’t been just because of the Thanksgiving break, but because I just have felt too awful to do any heavy thinking. I have the worst cold I’ve experience in many years.

Generally, I don’t get sick very often and when I do, it passes quickly. Wouldn’t it figure that the first winter I’m working outside the house I get hit with a bad one?

It started a week ago Friday when I was feeling that little “sickness” tickle in the back of my throat that something’s coming. By Sunday night I was fully in the throes of it. On Tuesday, I thought I might be well enough to go back for at least an abbreviated day of work. (I tried to fool myself into thinking I had to get some vital things done before the long weekend, but in reality I didn’t want people to think I was trying to sneak in a whole week off.)

That was a mistake. I was more miserable than ever and by the time I left that afternoon, one of the managers was telling me not to attempt it on Wednesday. She said it as much for everyone else’s sake as for mine.

Thursday morning I was starting to feel human again, although I was exhausted from lack of sleep. I couldn’t breathe laying down and I don’t sleep well sitting up. But Thanksgiving must go on and so we ventured out to my brothers’ houses. The noise and commotion and heat and lack of sleep took its toll and by the end of the night I was ready to go.

(The food was great, I think, as much of it as I could taste. Sadly, I didn’t have much of an appetite either.)

So, now it’s Saturday and the worst symptoms are gone except for this chest and head congestion and awful cough. Nothing seems to be able to break out the chest congestion, which is what’s causing the cough—the kind that doctors call “unproductive” meaning I’m not hocking up anything—in addition to the post-nasal drip. At least the Claritin is mostly working on my head. And the Nyquil is letting me sleep.

Maybe by Monday I will be whole again. I hope.